Homily 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A I Homily 23 August 2026 Year A

 

23 aug Isaiah 22:19-23, Romans 11:33-36, Matthew 16:13-20


 My dear friends today we celebrate the Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A. Today's readings invite us to reflect on trust, servant leadership, and our personal relationship with Jesus. They challenge us not only to ask, “Who is Jesus?” but also to ask, “Who is Jesus for me, and who am I becoming because I know Him?”

The first reading from the prophet Isaiah speaks about a change in leadership during a difficult period in the history of Judah. Jerusalem was under threat from the powerful Assyrian empire. Shebna was an important royal official, but he had become proud and concerned more about his own position and honour than about serving the people. God removes him and chooses Eliakim in his place. God calls him “my servant” and says that he will be “a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.” He is given “the key of the house of David”, a sign of authority and responsibility. God will also fasten him like a peg in a firm place. A strong peg could carry a considerable weight. Eliakim is therefore presented as someone others can depend upon. This gives us an important lesson about leadership. Authority is not given to make us important; it is given so that we can become a support for others. Shebna wanted to make a name for himself. Eliakim is called to carry the weight of others. For us Christians, the image of the “key of David” points forward to Christ, who has the ultimate authority to open and shut. In Christ, we see perfect servant leadership: authority expressed through love, humility and self-giving. A good leader is not necessarily the person who stands at the centre, but the person who can quietly carry the weight of others. In our families, communities and Church, God may place people in our care. The question is not, “How important am I?” but “Can others lean on me?”

In the second reading taken from St. Paul’s letter to the Romans, St. Paul highlights that God’s wisdom is far greater than human understanding. Paul reminds us that we cannot fully understand God’s plans. We often ask, “Why did God allow this?” or “Why is God doing things this way?” But Paul teaches us that faith does not mean having an answer to every question. Sometimes faith means trusting the One whose wisdom is greater than ours. There is also a beautiful lesson about humility. Paul asks, “Who has known the mind of the Lord?” and “Who has been his counsellor?” We cannot place ourselves above God or imagine that God owes us something. Everything we have is ultimately received from him. The passage ends with one of the most beautiful summaries of Christian faith: “From him and through him and for him are all things.” God is the source of our life, the one who sustains us, and the final goal of our existence. The challenge is to move from “I need to understand everything” to “I can trust God even when I do not understand.” Like Paul, we are invited to turn our questions into prayer, our uncertainty into trust, and our understanding into worship. And perhaps this is also why knowing Jesus is so important. Faith is not simply about having all the answers. It is about knowing the One whom we trust.

What is the difference between shopping for your best friend and shopping for an acquaintance? When you shop for your best friend, you know exactly what they like and dislike. You know what will make them happy. But with an acquaintance, you may know their name and a few things about them, but you don't really know what they would love. Why? Because you only really know someone when you have a relationship with them. Knowledge grows through relationship. That is the heart of today’s Gospel.

Jesus asks his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They give different answers: John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. Then Jesus makes the question personal: “But who do you say that I am?” Peter responds, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” This is a turning point in the Gospel. Peter has not simply given the correct answer to a theological question. He has recognized the person standing before him. Jesus is not merely another prophet or teacher. He is the Messiah, the Son of the living God. And Jesus tells Peter that this understanding has been revealed to him by the Father. Christianity is not merely about having information about Jesus; it is about having a relationship with Jesus. I can know that Jesus was born in Bethlehem. I can know his miracles and parables. I can even know many passages of Scripture by heart. But none of this automatically means that I know Jesus. We can attend Mass, read the Bible, study theology, know prayers and even speak beautifully about Christ—and still remain distant from Him. Jesus therefore asks each of us the same question: “Who do you say that I am?” Not, “What does the catechism say about me?” Not, “What do your parents say?” Not even, “What does the Church say?” All these are important. But Jesus asks for our personal confession of faith. Peter's confession also becomes the foundation of a community. Jesus gives Peter the keys and entrusts him with responsibility for the Church. For us Catholics, this is an important foundation for the ministry of Peter and for the apostolic succession through which the Church continues the mission Christ entrusted to the apostles. Our faith is personal, but it is never private. We receive the faith from the Church, we live it with the Church, and we are sent by the Church.

I invite you today to turn Jesus’ question around and ask Him in prayer: “Jesus, who am I for you?” Peter’s answer changed his identity. He was no longer simply Simon; Jesus called him Peter—the Rock. When we truly encounter Jesus, He also gives us a new identity and a new mission. Let us ask ourselves three questions today: Do I know about Jesus? Or do I know Jesus? And does knowing Jesus change the way I live? Perhaps today, instead of giving Jesus a theological answer, let us give Him a personal answer. Let us move from knowing about Jesus to knowing Jesus, from information to relationship, and from relationship to mission. May God bless us all.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homily Christ The King Feast Ordinary Time Year C I Homily 23 November 2025

Homily 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A I Homily 1 February 2026 Year A

Homily 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A I Homily 28 June 2024 Year A